Take these steps to find a trustworthy contractor before starting your next house or condo renovation.
There are a lot of contractors out there, good and bad, large scale and small scale.
So how do you narrow it down to find a trustworthy contractor to protect your home renovation investment, and make an informed, educated decision?
First, follow these steps:
- Ask friends or relatives if they have a recommendation based on their experience.
- Check building sites in your neighbourhood.
- Ask tradespeople that you already know and trust for their referrals.
- Check local Facebook groups or search Google Reviews for a trustworthy contractor in your area.
- Are there any examples of their work that you can see?
Gather what you find from these steps and make a list. Then, see if you can narrow it down to at least three potential choices before deciding who you want to go with.
What you Should Look for in a Contractor
Make sure that the contractor has the type of experience and skill to complete the scale and style of home renovation that you want. Go and look at their past work, and don’t be afraid to ask for their references. Then, call those references to verify what the contractor has said.
Interview Questions for Contractors
- What are the details of the renovation that you’re having done? How will the renovation be completed and in what order? Don’t be satisfied with vague assurances like “things will get done.” Only contractors with a step-by-step plan will get your renovation done properly. Also, ask them when the funds are paid out and for after which steps.
This kind of transparency is critical to a good working relationship.
- If you’re going to be a hands-off homeowner, does that suit their style? On the other hand, will they be comfortable if you are an active homeowner and on the renovation site daily? Your contractor has to be comfortable with the level of engagement that you want to have.
Your working styles and communications expectations must match in order to be successful.
- Have you done this type of renovation before?
- Can you give me an example of where something went sideways during a job and how you adapted to the change? What were the results?
- How often will you communicate with me? What will be included in our updates?
- Will you contact me before fixing/altering anything that is outside of the original scope of work?
- What is your payment structure like?
- How frequently do you clean your worksite? What are your policies for on-site tidiness? Will the site return to how it was before the renovation?
- If our neighbours have concerns and need a professional to help explain how the renovation will affect them, will you speak with them?
- What services do you provide? Are you limited to construction, or can you also help us with architectural drawings, engineering drawings, permitting, and/or interior designs?
Follow the steps above before and during your home renovation and you will be much more confident that you’ll get what you paid for. Your expectations will also be properly set, and it’ll ensure that your renovation comes in on time and on budget.
At Focus Construction, we’re the GTA’s transparent homebuilder. We’d be happy to help you plan your renovation. Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can begin planning now!